Monday, September 03, 2007

Day 4

Left Abergavenny and headed out on possiby the worst road ever. A dual carriage way being widened and resufaced is not a very nice place to be. Being squashed in between a seeminglessly never ending line of orange cones and fast moving trafific was really quite scary.

Anyway, before long I was on the road that lead me through the Brecon Beacons National Park. The scenery was stunning and despite the ever increasing gradient and frequency of inclines, I managed to maintain an average speed of 15mph. When your overwhelmed by the views around you it's very easy to forget that your actually going up a steep hill.

The last leg before lunch was going over the top of the Becons which saw me climb to a height of over 1500ft and though the middle of the SAS/Army shooting range. When i finally got over the very top, the view was amazing, but was surpassed by the very long downhill stretch into Beulah. I have never been so fast on a bike in my life. The very sharp left hand bend came racing towards me at a speed faster than I aticipated and it was only a mixture of dumb luck and (thankfully) newly laid tarmac that got me round the corner.

After lunch I set off for the next stop point which was to be Llandovery. The route took me through the bottom bit of the Cambrian Mountain range. I'm sure the scenery was lovely. I, however, couldn't see any of it. The clouds had moved in thus stopping any chances of me admiring the passing peaks and valleys. The fact that I was cycling through cloud though did give the slate lined roads a very omnious, almost primeval feel and the hard inclines, steep declines and twisting roads made for very exciting riding.

The last hour or so of the day was plagued with wrong turns and cyling up wrong roads and I would rather forget about it, becasue it really did make me quite cross. I'm blaming the fact that all signs in Wales are in both English and Welsh, not on my lack of paying attention.

Home for the evening was Henllys B+B just outside Llandovery. It was a converted farmstead and was really very charming indeed. The views it possessed over the Towy valley were extrememly pretty. It was a perfect place to rest after a days worth of cycling though mountains.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home